Monday, March 3, 2008

PeNToMinoes

I have set out to see all the places and things in 1000 places to see before you die, or as many as I can anyway.

The idea is not to fill up a list. The list is just a road map.

The idea behind my quest (and the writting of the book, no doubt) is to live life to the fullest. Do and see as much as you can because soon you will die and then you can't (as far as we know.)

With that in mind, I started this blog. To share my experiences and to (hopefully) hear about the experiences of others.

But, if you think about it, you quickly realize that there are FAR, FAR more than 1000 worthwhile places and things to see and do in the world. Patricia even talks about it in the introduction to the book. 1000 is just a starting point.

Heck, I can think of a dozen around my home, 100's in Chicago and 1000's in other places right off the top of my head she could have included.

So I have decided to start including other Places Not To Miss. And being the geek that I am, I have decided to call them PeNToMinoes.

Pentominoes are one of the worlds best and most popular mechanical puzzles, but unless you are a puzzle nut, like me, or a mathmatician you have probably never heard of them.

There are 12 ways that 5 (Penta) squares (Ominoes) can be put together with the sides fully touching. Wikipedia explains them really well and has some good pictures and diagrams if you are interested.

If anyone is interested in talking mechanical puzzles, write to me. I am ALWAYS interested in talking about puzzles.

So even though it's a geeky name, PeNToMinoes are going to be really cool places, sites and things to do that aren't in the book.

But I don't want it to just be me that contributes to the PeNToMinoes. Up until now this blog has pretty much been just an electronic copy of the book (except for my visit to Bardstown), but this PeNToMinoes are what can set it apart and make it truly useful and a must read.

Help me out. You know some places everyone should visit. Let us know about them. Leave a comment. It doesn't need to be relevant to the post. If it's long enough, I'll make a post out of it. Or combine several.

Or you can email me. Here's an address I check frequently - myeverdaylife (at) gmail (dot) com. Replace the (at) with @ and the (dot) with .

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from many of you.

Mark

No comments: